Monday, September 27, 2010

A Comparison

This weekend we decided to un-earth the sweet potatoes that had (we were hoping) been growing in the pots on our front porch…IMG_1004

We have so many things we want to try growing that we didn’t have enough garden bed space, so we put them in pots, some worked, some didn’t.  We’ll be modifying our system for next year.IMG_1005 IMG_1006 We didn’t get as many sweet potatoes as we would have liked…we decided that they were probably not given consistent enough water through the summer, sometimes they had a lot, other times, not so much…IMG_0999 IMG_1000 We did get this enormous potato and few smaller ones.  IMG_1002And, just because I told my sister that we pulled a potato out of the ground that was as big as Kaitlyn’s head….Nate had to take a picture to prove the comparison. I actually think the potato may be bigger than her head!
IMG_1008Kaitlyn really wasn’t sure why she was laying on the floor with a potato, but she played along all the same.

And one more picture for you…because Nate just couldn’t resist after I said that the back of the potato looked like a giant set of lips…

IMG_1012

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha :)
I love the side by side comparison shot! Made me giggle.

m

Mommo said...

Looks like Nate has his Halloween costume! With such beautiful, big vines, it seems they should have yielded lots of sweet potatoes to have for Thanksgiving. Maybe they'll like an in-ground bed better.