Sunday, September 11, 2011

Early Birthday

Kaitlyn and I decided we would celebrate Nate’s birthday today instead of tomorrow (his actual birthday) because Nate has to work all day and we wanted to have a little more time to just relax and play. 

Kaitlyn started out by leading Nate out of bed to his birthday presents…IMG_5675IMG_5677

IMG_5680

Not sure who was more excited about the present….Kaitlyn had so much fun “helping” me wrap it the other day.  She insisted that we use the paper with “boons!” I tried to use a different paper and almost had a major fit on my hands.

IMG_5683IMG_5689

IMG_5693IMG_5696

IMG_5701IMG_5704
Kaitlyn and I decided that Nate needed a toy to play with outdoors since he spends so much time inside in front of a computer.  A kite was the perfect answer.  This one is a stunt kite that will fit in a suitcase and should be able to handle the crazy winds we have around here (of course today it was calm).

We had a tasty breakfast and pretty laid back lunch and then it was time for TREATS!!! As many of you know, Nate’s favorite flavor of dessert is lemon.  Nate LOVES lemon.  Every year I make him a lemon cake of some sort. Usually a lemon bundt cake with lemon glaze – usually it is so lemony that I eat one piece and am done and Nate finishes the rest of the cake on his own!  This year I decided to try something a little different….so I made lemon cupcakes!  I know, totally out of the box right?  Well, they were sort of.  I used a boxed cake mix with a few additions because sifting cake flower and all that goes along with making a cake from scratch, and watching Kaitlyn…not such a good combo.  I did however, make the frosting from scratch.  Again – lemon.  Nate and Kaitlyn licked the mixer blade to help.IMG_5709IMG_5710

I finished off the cupcakes with some lemon sugar (zest and sugar) a little over the top since there was already a lot of lemon in these little treats, but I’d definitely make the lemon sugar for tea!  I dumped a little in my ice tea this afternoon…YUM!

IMG_5716IMG_5725

Happy Birthday to my sweet husband!!!!

We love you so much and hope that you had a wonderful pre-birthday and an awesome birthday-birthday tomorrow!!!!

2 comments:

The Roseburgs said...

Happy Birthday Nate!

Denny and Kathy said...

Happy Birthday, Nate! Sorry we were not there to celebrate with you. Kaitlyn looks like she was so much help with opening your kite and licking the beater! It's good to have such a helper when you're so busy, especially when you're growing older!